Conflict in Ukraine
THE IMPACT OF THE WAR IN UKRAINE ON THE WESTERN BALKANS
The war in Ukraine represents a turning point in international relations that significantly affects the common foreign and security policy of the European Union. By taking place on European soil and mainly between Russia and Ukraine, it really indirectly affects several countries united in two important entities, the European Union and NATO. In this paper, we will deal with the analysis of the impact of the war in Ukraine on the countries of the Western Balkans, which are in a significant geopolitical position and have developed relations with Russia in the fields of foreign policy, security, and energy. The work aims to contribute to the understanding of the implications that are happening and that may arise in the domain of internal and foreign policy of the Western Balkan countries, and especially regional relations, as a consequence of the war in Ukraine. In the first part of the paper, attention is paid to a theoretical explanation of war and realism in international relations which could be implied to this war. Furthermore, a brief overview of the political events that led to the Russian invasion of Ukraine will be presented in order to understand the next chapter, which is dedicated to considering the response of each Western Balkan state to the beginning of the war and the events that came as a result of it.
- Alonso-Trabanco, Jose Miguel. 2022. „The Evolution of Russia’s Ukraine Strategy.ˮ Geopolitical Monitor. Last access 10 August, 2022. https://www.geopoliticalmonitor.com/the-evolution-of-russias-ukraine-strategy/.
- Anastasakis, Othon. 2022. „The Russo-Ukrainian Crisis and the Western Balkans: Associations and knock-on effects. ˮ ACM Briefs. Last access: August 20, 2022. https://ascg.me/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/ACM-Brief_January-2022-final.pdf.
- Aron, Remon. 2001. Mir i Rat među nacijama. Sremski Karlovci: Izdavačka knjižarnica Zorana Stojanovića.
- Balkan Policy Advisory Group in Europe [BiEPAG]. 2021. “Geopolitically irrelevant in its ‘inner courtyard’?ˮ Last access August 18, 2022. https://balkanfund.org/pubs/uploads/Geopolitically_irrelevant_in_its.pdf.
- Bžežinski, Zbignjev. 2001. Velika šahovska tabla. Banja Luka: CID i Romanov.
- Clausewitz, Carl von. 1976. On War. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Čančar. Ismet Fatih. 2021. “Russia is Weaponising Bosnia and Herzegovina’s Gas Dependence.ˮ RUSI-The Royal United Services Institute. Last access: August 27, 2022. https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russia-weaponising-bosnia-and-herzegovinas-gas-dependence.
- Despotović, Bojana. 2022. „Rusi vlasnici 18.906 nekretnina, iz straha ih prepisuju drugima. ˮPobjeda. Last access: August 25, 2022. https://www.pobjeda.me/clanak/rusi-vlasnici-18906-nekretnina-iz-straha-ih-prepisuju-drugima.
- Douglas, Alexander. 2022. „Impacts of Russia’s War in Ukraine.ˮ Harvard Kennedy School-Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. Last access 10 August, 2022. https://www.belfercenter.org/publication/impacts-russias-war-ukraine?_gl=1*1i06yu*_ga*MTI2NDQ3MDQ2My4xNjYwMjM4Nzg3*_ga_72NC9RC7VN*MTY2MDM5NTMyMy40LjEuMTY2MDM5NTQwOC4w.
- Dunai, Marton. 2022. „Serbia’s president Aleksandar Vucic rejects sanctions on Russia.ˮ Financial Times. Last access: August 29, 2022. https://www.ft.com/content/0041d1a9-7fbd-4ea3-8176-e8b7d99e4a92.
- Gajić Aleksandar, Nikola Rajić. “Geopolitical Framework of Russian Military Intervention in Ukraine”. The Policy of National Security, Vol. 22, No. 1, Institute for Political Studies, Belgrade, 2022, pp. 127-146. https://doi.org/10.22182/pnb.2212022.6.
- EURACTIV. 2022. „Russian strike in Ukraine destroys Albanian consulate.ˮ Last access: August 27, 2022. https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/short_news/russian-strike-in-ukraine-destroys-albanian-consulate/.
- Isufi, Perparim, and Fjori, Sinoruka. 2022. “Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia Deny Sending ‘Mercenaries’ To Ukraine.ˮ BalkanInsight. Last access: August 26, 2022. https://balkaninsight.com/2022/02/18/albania-kosovo-bosnia-deny-sending-mercenaries-to-ukraine/.
- Kote, Kristo. 2022. “Albania Affected in Four Aspects by Ukraine War.ˮ Albanian Daily News. Last access: November 14, 2022. https://albaniandailynews.com/news/albania-affected-in-fours-aspects-by-ukraine-war-1.
- Lachert, Jakub. 2022. „Western Balkans and the War in Ukraine.ˮ Warsaw Institute. Last access August 17, 2022. https://warsawinstitute.org/western-balkans-war-ukraine/.
- Lumezi, Arian. 2022. “In Kosovo, fears that Russia could inspire a new Serbian offensive.ˮ Euronews. Last access August 20. 2022. https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/03/17/in-kosovo-fears-that-russia-could-inspire-a-new-serbian-offensive.
- Marućić, Stefan Jakov. 2022. “North Macedonia’s Faith in EU Influence Plummeting, Survey Shows.ˮ BalkanInsight. Last access: August 29, 2022. https://balkaninsight.com/2022/02/25/north-macedonian-faith-in-eu-influence-plummeting-survey-shows/.
- Matić, Milan i Milan, Podunavac. 1993. Enciklopedija političke kulture. Beograd: Savremena administracija.
- Mearsheimer, John. 2001. The tragedy of great power politics. New York: W.W. Norton & Company.
- Miković, Nikola. 2022. “How Will the Russia-Ukraine War Affect the Balkans?ˮ Politics Today. Last access: August 20, 2022. https://politicstoday.org/how-will-the-russia-ukraine-war-affect-the-balkans/.
- Naj, Dzozef. 2006. Kako razumevati međunarodne odnose. Beograd: Stubovi kulture.
- Novaković, Igor. 2022. “Serbia’s Position in the Context of the War in Ukraine – Reasons and Perspectives.ˮ Heinrich Böll Stiftung. Last access: August 10, 2022. https://rs.boell.org/en/2022/03/25/serbias-position-context-war-ukraine-reasons-and-perspectives.
- Odluka o pružanju privremene zaštite u Republici Srbiji raseljenim licima koja dolaze iz Ukrajine, „Službeni glasnik Republike Srbijeˮ, br. 36/2022.
- Öztürk, Mustafa Talha. 2022. “NATO members of Western Balkans voice solidarity with Ukraine.ˮ Anadolu Agency. Last access: August 20, 2022. https://www.aa.com.tr/en/russia-ukraine-war/nato-members-of-western-balkans-voice-solidarity-with-ukraine/2548451.
- Palombaro, Valerio. 2022. “Western Balkans countries and the war in Ukraine.ˮ NEU Newsletter for the European Union. Last access August 23, 2022. http://www.newslettereuropean.eu/western-balkans-countries-war-ukraine/.
- Pandurević, Vinko. “The Balkans and the Russian Federation-Geopolitical and Security Aspects”. The Policy of National Security, Vol. 17, No. 2, Institute for Political Studies, Belgrade, 2019, pp. 15-48. https://doi.org/10.22182/pnb.1722019.1.
- Popović, Sofija. 2022. “Support for Ukraine, balancing, ignoring: How the Western Balkans is reacting to the crisis.ˮ European Western Balkans. Last access: August 25, 2022. https://europeanwesternbalkans.com/2022/02/15/support-for-ukraine-balancing-ignoring-how-the-western-balkans-is-reacting-to-the-crisis/.
- Reuters. 2022. “Albania renames street in capital Tirana as Free Ukraine.ˮ Last access: August 18, 2022. https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/albania-renames-street-capital-tirana-free-ukraine-2022-03-06/.
- Reuters. 2022. “Berlin to again deploy troops in Bosnia 10 years after withdrawal.ˮ Last access: August 23, 2022. https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/berlin-again-deploy-troops-bosnia-10-years-after-withdrawal-2022-07-08/.
- RTS. 2022. „Прекинута седница црногорске владе због свађе око санкција Русији.ˮ Last access: August 28, 2022. https://www.rts.rs/page/stories/ci/story/3/region/4743087/crna-gora-vlada-sednica-prekid-rusija-sankcije.html.
- Stojanović, Milica. 2022. “Serbian Pro-Regime Media Praise Russia ‘Overrunning’ Ukraine.ˮ BalkanInsight. Last access August 8, 2022. https://balkaninsight.com/2022/02/25/serbian-pro-regime-media-praise-russia-overrunning-ukraine/.
- Stojkovski, Bojan. 2020. “Balkan Countries ‘Still Heavily Dependent on Russian Gas’.ˮ Balkan Insight. Last access August 18, 2022. https://balkaninsight.com/2020/11/24/balkan-countries-still-heavily-dependent-on-russian-gas/.
- Subotić, Strahinja, i Anesa Omeragić. 2022. „Ukrajina i Rusija su u ratu. Šta to znači za budućnost odnosa EU i Srbije?ˮ Centar za evropske politike. Last access: August 01, 2022. https://cep.org.rs/blogs/ukrajina-i-rusija-su-u-ratu-sta-to-znaci-za-buducnost-odnosa-eu-i-srbije/.
- Vale, Giovanni. 2022. “War in Ukraine, the Balkans hold their breath.ˮ Osservatorio balcani e caucaso transeuropa. Last access August 15, 2022. https://www.balcanicaucaso.org/eng/Areas/Balkans/War-in-Ukraine-the-Balkans-hold-their-breath-216258.
- Vuksanović, Vuk. 2022. “Russia’s gas gift to Serbia comes with strings attached.ˮ Euronews. Last access: August 25, 2022. https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/04/russia-s-gas-gift-to-serbia-comes-with-strings-attached-view.
- Waldman, Thomas. 2010. „Politics and War: Clausewitz’s Paradoxical Equation.ˮ The US Army War College Quarterly: Parameters 40 (3): 1‒14.
- Xharra, Jeta, and Perparim Isufi. 2022. “Serbia Aims to Create Tensions in Balkans: Kosovo President.ˮ BalkanInsight. Last access: August 17, 2022. https://balkaninsight.com/2022/04/20/serbia-aims-to-create-tensions-in-balkans-kosovo-president/.