ЧЛАНЦИ И СТУДИЈЕ
FACTORS HINDERING PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION REFORM AND EU ACCESSION: CASE STUDY OF BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
Public administration represents operations and practice of the government through management, administration and implementation of government policies having in mind public interests and the society as a whole. However, analysis of the political system and public administration in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BIH) reveals that this definition is rather “modified” when it comes to the mentioned country. Even though public administration reform is one of the priorities for BIH, the reasons why it has not been more successful are post-conflict reconstruction and state building, unique political organisation as a result of a peace agreement, veto mechanisms and ethnic quotas which makes the consensus harder to achieve and delays adoption of important strategies. Even though political elite in BIH is committed to public administration reform and the key reform institutions have been established there is a lack of necessary knowledge and skills, competences and most importantly, political will. However, public administration reform definitely represents one of the key conditions for the future of BIH and its accession to the European Union (EU).
Undoubtedly, public administration reform is a complex reform, and in this paper, the focus is on the case study of BIH by identifying its key issues on the way to the EU membership. This paper is based on analytical method with an explorative and descriptive purpose, comparative legal method, literature review method, and finally, synthesis of results, combined with professional insight and conclusions.
- Blagovčanin, S. (2020). The Rule of Cartel. Banja Luka: Transparency International Bosnia and Herzegovina. Available at: https://ti-bih.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/The-rule-of-the-cartel.pdf (last accessed on 05.07.2020)
- Bovaird, T. (2016). Researching Europeanisation of Public Administration and Policy: Conceptual Issues in Integration and Differentiation. Available at: https://www.nispa.org/files//EPARbookEN.pdf (last accessed on 01.08.2020)
- Constitution of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Official Gazette of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, No. 1/94, 13/97, Sarajevo, 1994. Available at: http://www.ohr.int/ohr-dept/legal/laws-of-bih/pdf/001%20-%20Constitutions/FBH/FBH%20CONSTITUTION%20FBH%201-94%20and%2013-97.pdf (last accessed on 17.06.2020)
- Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina [Council of Ministers of BIH]. Decision on Adoption of the Strategic Framework for Public Administration Reform in Bosnia and Herzegovina 2018 – 2022, Official Gazette of BIH, No. 85/18, Sarajevo, 25 September 2018.
- Dedović, D. (2019). Visoki predstavnik u BiH: „funkcija bez smisla“. Deutsche Welle. [online]. 14 August. Available at: https://www.dw.com/sr/visoki-predstavnik-u-bih-funkcija-bez-smisla/a-50018659 (last accessed on 05.05.2020)
- EBRD – European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. (2019). Transition Report 2019-2020. Available at: https://www.ebrd.com/transition-report (last accessed on 03.03.2020)
- Enroth, H. (2017). Cartelization Versus Representation?: On A Misconception in Contemporary Party Theory. Party Politics, 23(2), 124–134.
- European Commission, Bosnia and Herzegovina Analytical Report, 29 May 2019a, SWD(2019) 222 final, Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/sites/near/files/20190529-bosnia-and-herzegovina-analytical-report.pdf (last accessed on 16.03.2020).
- European Commission, Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions- 2019 Communication on EU Enlargement Policy, 29 May 2019b, COM(2019) 260 final, Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/sites/near/files/20190529-communication-on-eu-enlargement-policy_en.pdf (last accessed 23.05.2020)
- European Commission, Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council- Commission Opinion on Bosnia and Herzegovina’s application for membership of the European Union, 29 May 2019c, COM(2019) 261 final, Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/sites/near/files/20190529-bosnia-and-herzegovina-opinion_en.pdf (last accessed on 04.12.2019)
- Fouere, E. (2017). Western Balkans and the EU: Still in stand-by, Commentary, Italian Institute for International Political Studies, 10 July, Available at: http://www.ispionline.it/en/pubblicazione/western-balkans-and-eu-still-stand-17166 (last accessed 02.08.2019)
- Katz, R. S., Mair, P. (1995). Changing Models of Party Organization and Party Democracy: the emergence of the cartel party, Party Politics, Vol. 1, No. 1, p 5-31.
- Kernaghan, K. (2008). Changing Concepts of Power and Responsibility in the Canadian Public Service. Canadian Public Administration.
- Ladi, S. (2008). Good governance and public administration reform in the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC) Member States. Greece: ICBSS.
- Nigro, F.A., Nigro, L.G. (1973). Modern Public Administration. USA: Harper & Row.
- Oxford Dictionary. (2019). Sovereignty. UK: Oxford University Press.
- PARCO. (2006). Bosnia and Herzegovina – Public Administration Reform Strategy. Available at: http://parco.gov.ba/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/strategy-for-public-administration-reform.pdf (last accessed on 05.05.2019)
- PARCO. (2012). Report on Evaluation of the project Transposing EU Legislation in the Legal System of BIH. Available at: http://parco.gov.ba//wp-content/uploads/2014/10/report-on-evaluation-transposing-eu-legislation-in-the-legal-system-of-bih.pdf (last accessed on 15.08.2020)
- PARCO. (2013a). Report on Evaluation of the project Development of Performance Management System in the Structures of Civil Service in BIH. Available at: http://parco.gov.ba//wp-content/uploads/2014/10/report-on-evaluation-development-of-performance-management-system-in-the-structures-of-civil-service-in-bih.pdf (last accessed on 15.08.2020)
- PARCO. (2013b). Report on Evaluation of the project Improvement of Rules and Procedures for Legal, Other Regulation and General Acts Drafting in BIH. Available at: http://parco.gov.ba//wp-content/uploads/2014/10/report-on-evaluation-improvement-of-rules-and-procedures-for-legal-other-regulation-and-general-acts-drafting-in-bih.pdf (last accessed on 15.08.2020)
- PARCO. (2015a). Reform Agenda for the period 2015-2018. Available at: http://europa.ba/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Reform-Agenda-BiH.pdf (last accessed on 05.05.2019)
- PARCO. (2015b). Report on Evaluation of the project Budget Management Information System (BMIS). Available at: http://parco.gov.ba//wp-content/uploads/2016/09/report-on-evaluation-of-the-project-budget-menagement-information-sistem-bmis.pdf (last accessed on 15.08.2020)
- PARCO. (2016a). Annual Progress Report. January – December 2016. Available at: http://parco.gov.ba/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Annual-Progress-Report-for-2016.pdf (last accessed on 06.09.2020)
- PARCO. (2016b). Monitoring Report on the project Training of Employees Who Execute the Jobs
- of Civil Administration for Application of Information Technologies and Work on Computers Available at: http://parco.gov.ba/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Monitoring-report_Training-of-employees-who-execute-the-jobs-of-civil-administration-for-application-of-information-technologies-and-work-on-computers.pdf (last accessed on 15.08.2020)
- PARCO. (2017). Report on Evaluation of the project Building of Capacities for Combat against Corruption in the Structures of Civil Service in BIH. Available at: http://parco.gov.ba/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Monitoring-Report_CB-for-Combat-Against-Corruption.pdf (last accessed on 15.08.2020)
- PARCO. (2018). Strategic Framework of Public Administration Reform in Bosnia And Herzegovina 2018-2022. March 2018. Available at: http://rju.parco.gov.ba/en/o-rju/strateski-okviri-za-rju/ (last accessed on 17.06.2020)
- Rabin, J., Hildreth, W. B., Miller, G. J. (2007). Handbook of Public Administration. USA: CRC Press.
- Sanfey, P., J. Milatovic and A. Kresic. (2016). How the Western Balkans can catch up. EBRD Working Paper No. 186, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. Available at: http://www.ebrd.com/documents/oce/pdf-working-paper-186.pdf (last accessed on 09.10.2019)
- Shafritz, J. M., Russell, E. W., Borick, C. P. (2013). Introducing Public Administration. New York: Routledge.
- Tanović, M. (2014). „Improvement of the State Governing System: Organisational and Functional Aspects of the Public Administration Reform“. Fakultet za javnu upravu Sarajevo, Međunarodna naučna konferencija- „Javni i privatni aspekti nužnih pravnihreformi u BiH: Koliko daleko možemo ići?“. Tuzla: Pravni fakultet Univerziteta u Tuzli.
- Transparency International BIH. (2017). Praćenje reforme javne uprave u Bosni i Hercegovini: Analiza rezultata u oblasti transparentnosti, odgovornosti i integriteta u javnoj upravi u 2017. godini. Available at: https://ti-bih.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Pracenje-reforme-javne-uprave-u-BiH_TOI.pdf (last accessed on 10.06.2020)
- (1995). General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Available at: https://peacemaker.un.org/sites/peacemaker.un.org/files/BA_951121_DaytonAgreement.pdf (last accessed on 05.05.2019)
- Waldo, D. (1980). The Enterprise of Public Administration. USA: Chandler and Sharp.
- Zaum, D. (2007). Statebuilding in Bosnia and Hercegovina. In The Sovereignty Paradox: The Norms and Politics of International Statebuilding. UK: Oxford University Press.
- Zdeb, A. (2019) Ethno-nationalism and Political Conflict in Bosnia (Europe). The Palgrave Handbook of Ethnicity. Singapore: Palgrave Macmillan. Available at: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-981-13-2898-5_43.pdf (last accessed on 06.08.2020)