GEOPOLITIKA I MEÐUNARODNI ODNOSI
THE LOST VICTORY
The author in this paper presents the dilemmas over the meaning of victory in contemporary wars, arguing that wars such as “war on terror”, “humanitarian intervention” and especially a “just war” seem to be unwinnable. In the first part of the paper the author presents the normative meaning of the term “victory” which goes beyond the military success in a war, encompassing also virtuous motives, efforts and goals. In the second chapter the author considers the transformation of the contemporary war as a form of transformation of political sovereignty. The decline of victory, which is a subject of the third chapter, is in close relation with the transformation of contemporary war due to the emergence of unwinnable wars. Finally, in the fourth chapter, the author is setting the relation between the meaning of victory and the so called “just war theory”, and concluding that it is not possible to win the “just war”.
- Bacevich, Andrew, The New American Militarism. How Americans are Seduced by War, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2005.
- Baudrillard, Jean, The Spirit of Terrorism and Other Essays, Verso, London, 2003.
- Berdyaev, Nikolay, Slavery and Freedom, Scribner’s, New York, 1944.
- Bethke, Elshain, Just War against Terror. The Burden of American Power in a Violent World, Basic Books, New York, 2003.
- Chomsky, Noam, 9-11, Seven Stories Press, New York, 2001.
- Christopher, Paul, The Ethics of War and Peace, 2nd edition, Westview Press, Boulder, CO, 1999.
- Daalder, Ivo H.; O’Hanlon, Michael E., Wining Ugly: NATO’s War to Save Kosovo, Brookings Institution Press, Washington, 2000.
- De Benoist, Alain, Carl Schmitt Today: Terrorism, ‘Just’ War, and the State of Emergency, ARKTOS, London, 2013.
- Ehrenreich, Barbara, Blood Rites. Origins and History of the Passions of War, Henry Holt and company, New York, 1997.
- Fiala, Andrew, The Just War Myth: The Moral Illusions of War, Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, INC., Lanham, 2008.
- Fotion, Nick, War and Ethics. A New Just War Theory, Continuum, London, 2007.
- Gat, Azar, War in Human Civilization, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2006.
- Gross, Michael L., Moral Dilemmas of Modern War. Torture, Assassination, and Blackmail in an Age of Asymmetric Conflict, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2010.
- Hardt, Michael; Negri, Antonio, Multitude: War and Democracy in the Age of Empire, The Penguin Press, New York, 2004.
- Johnson, James Turner, The Holy War Idea in Western and Islamic Traditions, Pennsylvania State University Press, Pennsylvania, 1997.
- Kahn, Paul W., Sacred Violence. Torture, Terror and Sovereignty, The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, 2008.
- Kaldor, Mary, New and Old Wars, Polity Press, Cambridge, 2012.
- McMahan, Jeff, Killing in War, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 2009.
- Mueller, John, The Remnants of War, Cornell University Press, Ithaca and London, 2004.
- National Security Strategy of the United States of America (NSS) at www.whitehouse.gov/nss.pdf.
- Ned Lebow, Richard, Why Nations Fight. Past and Future Motives for War, Cambridge university press, Cambridge, 2010.
- Rawls, John, The Law of Peoples, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, 1999.
- Sennett, Richard, The Fall of the Public Man, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1977.
- Singer, P.W., Wired for War. The Robotics Revolution and Conflict in the 21st Century, Penguin Press, New York, 2009.
- Schmitt, Carl, The ‘Nomos’ of the Earth in the International Law of the ‘Jus Publicum Europeaeum’, Telos Press, New York, 2003.
- The Washington Post, 22 March 1991.
- Tirman, John, The Deaths of others. The Fate of Civilians in American Wars, Oxford University Press, New York, 2011.
- Van Creveld, Martin, The Transformation of War, The Free Press, New York, 1991.
- Von Clausewitz, Carl, On War, Michael Howard and Peter Parett, editors and translators, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 1989.
- Walzer, Michael, Just and Unjust Wars. A Moral Argument with Historical Illustrations, Basic Books, New York, 1976.
- Walzer, Michael, Just and Unjust Wars, Basic Books, New York, 1977.
- Walzer, Michael, Just and Unjust Wars, Basic Books, New York, 1992.