OGLEDI I STUDIJE
RETURNING MIGRANTS IN MACEDONIA: THE CHALLENGES OF EDUCATIONAL REINTEGRATION
The issue of reintegration of returning migrants in Macedonia gained increased attention with the rise in returns in the last several years, especially of Macedonian citizens illegal migrants. It has been widely recognised that an organised and systematic state response to the return migration is a key for successful reintegration of returning migrants and prevention of re-emigration and social exclusion. The paper elaborates the legislative, policy-making and practical challenges of reintegration of returnees in the domain of education. The focus is on: access to education for returning children at primary, secondary and tertiary levels of education; access to adult education for returning adults and older people; as well as obstacles for higher educational attainment and outcomes related to language barriers, extracurricular assistance and recognition of diplomas and qualifications.
- Assembly of the Republic of Macedonia, Law on Primary Education, Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia, No. 03/2008, 33/2010, 116/2010, 156/2010, 6/2011, 18/2011, 51/2011, 100/2012.
- Assembly of the Republic of Macedonia, Law on Secondary Education, Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia, No. 52/2002.
- Assembly of the Republic of Macedonia, Law on Textbooks for Primary and Secondary Education, Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia, No. 98/2008.
- Assembly of the Republic of Macedonia, Law on Local-self Government, Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia, No. 5/2002.
- Assembly of the Republic of Macedonia, Law on Registration of Residence and Temporary Residence of Citizens, Official Gazette of the Republic of Macedonia, No. 36/92, 12/93, 43/2000,66/2007.
- Bornarova Suzana, Returning Migrants in the Republic of Macedonia: The Issue of Reintegration, Two Homelands. 34. Institute for Slovenian Emigration and Migration, 2011.
- Chappell Laura, Angelescu-Naqvi Ramona, Mavrotas George, Sriskandarajah Dhananjayan, Development on the Move: Measuring and Optimising Migration ’s Economic and Social Impacts, IPPR and GDN, London, 2010.
- Government of the Republic of Macedonia, Schengen Action Plan, Skopje, 2009.
- Government of the Republic of Macedonia, Migration Profile for the Republic of Macedonia 2010, Skopje, 2011.
- IOM, Migration Profile: Macedonia, MOI of the Republic of Slovenia, Ljubljana, 2007.
- IOM, Labour Migration Patterns. Policies and Migration Propensity in the Western Balkans, Geneva, 2009.
- IOM, Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration. Annual Report of Activities 2011, Geneva, 2012.
- Janevska Verica, Bomarova Suzana, Social Impact of Emigration and Rural-Urban Migration in Central and Eastern Europe, Macedonian Interim Report (draft), GVG. and European Commission, 2011.
- MARRI, Migration, Asylum, Refugees Regional Initiative: Migration Paper 2007.
- Ministry of Education and Science, National Strategy for the Development of Education in the Republic of Macedonia 2005-2015, Skopje, 2002.
- MLSP, Programme for Reintegration of Macedonian Returnees under the Readmission Agreements, Skopje, 2010.
- MOI, Official data from the Ministry of Interior, Sector for Analytics, letter no.15.2-145; 01.02.2007.
- Mughal Abdul Ghaffar, Cipusheva Hristina, Abazi Hyrije, Migration, Remittances and the Standards of Living in the Republic of Macedonia, University of South East European University, Tetovo, 2008.
- Nikolovski Zoran, Uzunov Vanco, Micevska Scharf Maja, Sazdovska Suncica, Development on the Move: Measuring and Optimising the Economic and Social Impacts of Migration in the Republic of Macedonia. GDN, Skopje, 2009.
- Agreement between Macedonia and the EC for Readmission of People residing without Authorisation, Official Gazette, No. 141/07.
- State Statistical Office, Statistical Yearbook of the Republic of Macedonia, Skopje, 2003.
- State Statistical Office, Relative poverty in 2011. Skopje, 2012.
- State Statistical Office, Active Population in the Republic of Macedonia, Results from the Labour Force Survey, II quarter 2012, Skopje, 2012.
- UNHCR, Asylum Levels and Trends in Industrialised Countries 2010, Division of Programme Support and Management, 2010.
- World Bank. Bilateral Migration Matrix November 2010, Brussels, 2011.