EXTREMISM, INTERNET, GENDER
ONLINE RADICALIZATION OF AMERICA’S MALE YOUTH
The United States has, in recent years, struggled with the rise of the Alt-Right. A wing of political extremism associated with extreme conservatism, racism, anti-Semitism, and sexist ideals, the target demographic is young, white, Christian males. Multiple mass shootings have been attributed to the ideology and, in tracing its roots, one finds the home of such ideologies to be on online forums such as Reddit, 4chan, and 8chan. This paper analyzes the lax rules and lack of moderation on these sites that makes them a safe place for hateful ideologies. In addition, it finds that the sense of community these potential murders find on such sites can urge them to their hateful acts. Through memes, in-jokes, and manifestoes, the Alt-Right has found a long-term home in these forums.
- Anti-Defamation League. 2019. “Alt Right: A Primer On The New White Supremacy”. Backgrounder. New York City: Anti-Defamation League.
- Colley, Thomas, and Martin Moore. “The Challenges of Studying 4chan and the Alt-Right: ‘Come on in the Water’s Fine.’” New Media & Society 24, no. 1 (January 2022): 5–30.
- Grover, Ted, and Gloria Mark. 2019. “Detecting Potential Warning Behaviors of Ideological Radicalization in an Alt-Right Subreddit”. Proceedings of the International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media 13 (01):193-204.
- Hodge, Edwin, and Helga Hallgrimsdottir. 2019. “Networks Of Hate: The Alt-Right, “Troll Culture”, And The Cultural Geography Of Social Movement Spaces Online”. Journal Of Borderlands Studies 35 (4): 563-580. doi:10.1080/08865655.2019.1571935.
- Massanari, Adrienne, 2020. “Reddit’s alt-right: Toxic masculinity, free speech, and /r/The_Donald,” In: Melissa Zimdars and Kembrew McLeod (editors). Fake news: Understanding media and misinformation in the digital age. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
- Parker, Kim, Juliana Menasca-Horowitz, Ruth Igielnik, J. Baxter Oliphant, and Anna Brown. 2017. “America’S Complex Relationship With Guns”. Washington D.C.: Pew Research Center.
- Rieger, Diana, Anna Sophie Kümpel, Maximilian Wich, Toni Kiening, and Georg Groh. “Assessing the Extent and Types of Hate Speech in Fringe Communities: A Case Study of Alt-Right Communities on 8chan, 4chan, and Reddit.” Social Media + Society, (October 2021).
- Roose, Kevin. 2019. “‘Shut The Site Down,’ Says The Creator Of 8Chan, A Megaphone For Gunmen”. The New York Times, , 2019.
- Seidman, Helayne. 2014. “What Is 4Chan And Where Did It Come From?”. The New York Post, , 2014.
- Southern Poverty Law Center. 2021. “ALT-RIGHT”. Profiles Of Extremist Beliefs. Montgomery: Southern Poverty Law Center.