O POLITIČKIM I PARTIJSKIM SISTEMIMA
CHALLENGES OF LEADERSHIP AND FOLLOWERSHIP IN NIGERIAN GOVERNANCE ARCHITECTURE: AN ANALYTICAL REVIEW
The paper examines the challenges of leadership and followership in governance and how poor leadership has undermined democratic and sustainable development in Nigeria. Specifically, it explores reasons why one of the world most endowed nations in human capacity continues to be bequeathed mis-governance. Using documentary approach, we argue that the challenges for poor leadership and followership in Nigeria’s contemporary political system are tied to corruption and self-aggrandizement of leaders and followers with unquenchable self-centeredness coupled with a crop of leaders without vision towards the betterment of the country. We conclude however that Nigerians should focus on electing leaders with proven track records of selfless service, achievement towards geared sustainability and developmental stride for efficiency, effectiveness and higher productivity. If this was done in line with the intent to salvage the crumbling political system, there would be renewed value orientation that is required to make Nigerians more politically responsible to the country.
- Achebe, C. 2012. There Was a Country: A Personal History of Biafra. London: Penguin Group.
- Ademola K. F, Edoh, T., and Wuam, T. 2009. Democratic leadership and accountability in past-colonial Africa: challenges and possibilities: Essay in honour of Professor Akasepaulsorkaa. Makurdi: Aboki Publisher LTD
- Adetoro, R.A., and Omiyefa, M.O. 2010. Rebranding Nigeria Educational System: Value Education in Social Studies as a rescue, in Adetunji, A.A. (Eds.). Rebranding Nigerian Education System for Better Future: Ogun, School of Arts and Social Science, F.C.E. Osiele, Abeokuta.
- Adisha, H. 2003. Corruption and Nigeria Government, http://www.onlinenigeria.com/articles/ad.asp?blurb?=51
- Aja, A. A. 2007. Basic Concepts, Issues and Strategies of Peace and Conflict Resolution. Enugu: Kenny and Brothers Enterprise
- Bagaji, A.Y.S. 2002. The Sustenance of Public Government in Nigeria. London: London University Press
- Chafe, K. 2013. The Problematic of Africa Poverty and Democracy. Accra: Heritage Press.
- Chamber 20th century Dictionary 1987.
- Coleman, J.S. 1986. Nigeria: Background to Nationalism. Broburg and Wistrom, Benin City
- Dibua, J.I., 2005. Citizenship and resource control in Nigeria: The case of minority communities in the Niger-Delta’ Afrika Spectrum 39.1.5-29.
- Duffy, B. 2000. ‘The Analysis of Documentary Evidence’, in J. Bell (ed.), Doing Your
- Elton, G. R. 2002. The practice of history. Oxford: Blackwell. England: Harper and Row.
- Erickson, Edward J. 2001. Ordered to Die: A History of the Ottoman Army in the First World War, Greenwood.
- Galtung, J. 1996. Peace by Peaceful means: Peace and Conflict Development and Civilization, London, United Kingdom: SAGE Publications
- Gould, J and Kolb, W. 1964. Good governance practice, the major challenges of achieving rural development goals in Nigeria Abuja: Nigeria Workshop Paper.
- Gramsci, A. 1964. Pagine di Gramsci. (Vol. 1 Nel Tempo della Lotta 1914-1926) (2000) Pages by Gramsci. Vol. 1, In the time of Struggle 1914-1926), Ferrara, G. and Gallo, N (eds), Milan: Il Saggiatore
- Hakim, C. 2000. Research design. London, England: Routledge.
- Hartzell, C. A., & Hoddie M. 2003. Institutionalizing Peace: Power Sharing and Post–Civil War Conflict Management. American Journal of Political Science, 47(2), 318–332.
- Haythornthwaite, Philip J. 1993. The World War One Source Book Arms and Armour
- IBTimes 2015. “Magistrate Court Struck Out Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu”.
- Igwe, O. 2002. Politics and Globe Dictionary. Enugu: Tame Publisher.
- Ike, O. 2001. Nigeria’s Oil Revenue and the Oil-producing Areas. Journal of Center for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral and Policy, 4, p. 10.
- Itse, S. 1995. True Federalism, Resource Control and the North. Vanguard Newspaper, June 23, p. 34.
- Johnson, D. 1984. Planning small-scale research: A new look at Max Weber and his investigation in educational management. In J. Bell & A. Fox (Eds.). London
- Lenin, V. I. 1975. On the National and Colonial Questions: Three Articles, Peking: Foreign Language Press.
- Lewis A. Coser 1956. The Functions of Social Conflict. London, Glencoe.
- Ligo, V. 2009. Variations in Value Orientation: Their implication for Freedom and Choice in Filipino Democracy
- Momoh, A. 2002. The Philosophy and Theory of the National Question. In Momoh, A., and S. Adejumobi, (eds.), (2002), The National Question in Nigeria: Comparative Perspectives, Aldershot, Hampshire and Burlington: Ashgate Publishing Company.
- Newswatch Magazine, January 3, 2006.
- Newswatch Magazine, June 19, 2006.
- Newswatch Magazine, March 10, 2008.
- Niger Delta. n.d. htttp://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger Delta.
- National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) .2014. Annual Abstract of Statistics. Abuja. NBS Press.
- Obi, S.E and Uche, O. 2019. Political Exclusion of the Igbo’s of South Eastern Nigeria and the Renewed Agitation for the Sovereign State of Biafra. Journal of Contemporary Social Research, Faculty of Social Sciences, Kogi State University. Vol. 3, No. 2, Pp 91-102.
- Oddih, M. 2009. Globalization and Socio-Political Conflicts in Nigeria. In Meriam Ikejiani-Clark (eds), Peace Studies and conflict Resolution Nigeria; A reader. Ibadan, Spectrum Books Ltd.
- Ogunmade, O. 2013. $600bn Stolen by Nigerian Elite since Independence. ThisDay LIVE. Retrieved on 19/6/13 www.thisdaylive.com/article/$600bn-stolen-by-nigerian-elite.
- Okadigbo, Chuba. 1987. Power and Leadership in Nigeria. Enugu: Fourth Dimension Publishing Company Limited
- Okolie, A.M. 2009. Conflict Analysis”. In Meriam Ikejiani-Clark (eds)Peace Studies and conflict Resolution Nigeria; A reader. Ibadan, Spectrum Books Ltd
- Omojuwa, 2001. Resource Control and Federalism, Ibadan: Heinemann Books Ltd.
- Onu, G. 2009. The methods of Conflict Resolution and Transformation. In Meriam Ikejiani-Clark (eds) Peace Studies and conflict Resolution Nigeria; A reader. Ibadan, Spectrum Books Ltd
- Oyeshola-Dokun, O. P. 2005. Conflict and Context of Conflict Resolution, Ile-Ife: University Press Research Project: A Guide for First-time Researchers in Education and Social.
- Oyetunbi, O., & Akinrinde, O. O. 2021. Political Crisis and The Politics of Religious
- Divisiveness in Nigeria’s Fourth Republic. The Digest: Journal of Jurisprudence and Legisprudence, 2 (2), 173-196. https://doi.org/10.15294/thedigest.v2i2.48586.
- Roberts, J. T., & Hite A. 1999. From Modernization to Globalization: Social Perspectives on International Development. Malden, Mass.: Blackwell.
- Simbine A.J. 2000. Citizen proposition towards governance and democratic rule in Nigeria:
- Ibadan NISER Monograph Series No: 15 NISER.
- Uguru, H., & Faul, M. 2017. Nigeria: up to $100 Billion Lost from Oil Militant Attacks. https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2017-02-14/nigeria-up-to-100- billion-lost-from-oil-militant-attacks.
- UNDP. 2008. Human Development Report/Fighting Climate Change, published by UNDP.
- Urlanis, Boris. 1971. Wars and Population, Moscow. Lists the military dead of Russia, Greece, Serbia and Montenegro. (In: Urlanis, p. 209.).
- Verma, S.P. 1998. Modern Political Theory.New Delhi: Vikas Publishing House
- Wallenstein, P. 2002. Understanding Conflict Resolution. London: Sage.