FROM POLITICAL THEORY
TRANSFORMATION / CHARISMATIC LEADERSHIP AND MOTIVATIONAL WILLINGNESS OF FOLLOWERS
Bass (Bass, 1990) proposed a classification of leadership styles within which he defines transformational, transactional, and laisez-faire leadership (which actually implies the absence of a leadership factor). In this paper, we will analyze the transformational style of leadership whose basic characteristic is a charismatic influence on followers. From that charismatic influence comes the high motivational willingness of the followers to authentically follow the vision of the transformation leader. Research shows that the transformational style of leadership is highly correlated with the motivational readiness of followers (Bovey & Hede, 2001). In this paper we will also discuss the principles of ethical leadership (respect for followers, service to followers, fairness, honesty with followers, influence on community building and development) and connect the application of these principles with the characteristics of the transformational leadership style in which these stated principles of leadership ethics are woven. Motivational readiness of followers refers primarily to openness to change and readiness to change, which in the conditions of modern business but also in the wider social context is a prerequisite for the development of any organization or system. The focus of the work is on the dynamics of exchange between leaders and followers in order to more efficiently achieve goals while respecting the ethical principles of leadership. The assumption is that the establishment of such dynamics of relations can have a positive impact on the systems and organizations in which leaders are active, but also on the wider community. Some of the factors that we will discuss in this paper, significantly go beyond the context of corporate functioning and can be explored within other social organizations and political parties.
- Ashton Michael and Lee Kibeom. 2007. Empirical, theoretical, and practical advantages of the HEXACO model of personality structure. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 11(2), 150–166. DOI: 10.1177/1088868306294907
- Avolio Bruce J. and Bernard M. Bass. 1985. “Transformational leadership, charisma, and beyond”, in International leadership symposia series. Emerging leadership vistas, eds. J. G. Hunt, B. R. Baliga, H. P. Dachler and C. A. Schriesheim, 29–49.
- Avolio Bruce J. 1999. Full leadership development: Building the vital forces in organizations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Bass M. Bernard. 1990. “From Transactional to Transformational Leadership: Learning to Share the Vision”, Organizational Dynamics, 18(3): 19-32. DOI: 10.1016/0090-2616(90)90061-S.
- Bass M. Bernard and Ronald E. Riggio. 2006. Transformational leadership, Oxford: Psychology press.
- Bass M. Bernard. Transformational Leadership: Industrial, Military, and Educational Impact, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Bass M Bernard and Paul Steidlmeier. 1999. Ethics, character, and authentic transformational leadership behavior. Leadership Quarterly.
- Bovey, Wayne H. and Andrew Hede. 2001. “Resistance to Оrganizational Change: The Role of Cognitive and Affective Processes”, Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 22 (8): 372-382. DOI: 10.1108/01437730110410099.
- Burns James. 1978. New York: Harper & Row
- Bryman Alan. 1992. Charisma and leadership in organizations. London:Sage
- Coghlan David. 1993. “A person-centred approach to dealing with resistance to change”, Leadership & Organization Development Journal.
- Detert, James R. and Ethan R. Burris. 2007. “Leadership behavior and employee voice: Is the door really open?”, Academy of management journal, 50 (4): 869-884. DOI: 5465/amj.2007.26279183.
- Greenleaf Robert. 1977. Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness. Paulist Press, New York.
- Goldberg, Lewis R.1990. “An Alternative ‘Description of Personality’: The Big-Five Factor Structure”, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 59(6): 1216–1229. DOI: 1037/0022-35220.127.116.116.
- Howell Jane M. and Avolio Bruce J. 1993. “Transformational Leadership, Transactional Leadership, Locus of Control, and Support for Innovation: Key Predictors of Consolidated-Business-Unit Performance”. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Hunt James G. and Conger Jay A. 1999. “From where we sit: An assessment of transformational and charismatic leadership research”, The Leadership Quarterly, 10(3). DOI:/10.1016/S1048-9843(99)00024-7
- Janićijević Nebojša. 2008. Organizaciono ponašanje. Datastatus, Beograd
- John, Oliver P. and Sanjay Srivastava.1999. “The Big Five trait taxonomy: History, Measurement, and Theoretical Perspectives”, u Handbook of personality: Theory and research, New York: Guilford, 102-138.
- Judge, A. Timothy and Joyce E. Bono. 2000. “Five-factor model of personality and transformational leadership”, Journal of applied psychology, 85 (5): 751. DOI: 1037/0021-9010.85.5.751.
- Kanungo Rabindra. 2001. “Ethical Values of Transactional and Transformational Leaders”, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, 18 (4).
- Kirkman Bradley L. and Shapiro Debra L. 2001. “The Impact of Cultural Values on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment in Self-Managing Work Teams: The Mediating Role of Employee Resistance”, Academy of Management Journal, DOI: 10.2307/3069370
- Kitchener Karen S. 1984. “Intuition, critical evaluation and ethical principles: The foundation for ethical decisions in counseling psychology”. Counseling Psychologist, 12(3)
- Kuhnert Karl. 1994. Transforming leadership: Developing people through delegation. Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage
- Kuhnert Karl, Lewis. 1987. “Transactional and Transformational Leadership: A Constructive/Developmental Analysis”, Academy of Management Review 12 (4).
- Kirkman, Bradley L. and Debra L. Shapiro. 2001. “The Impact of Team Members’ Cultural Values on Productivity, Cooperation, and Empowerment in Self-Managing Work Teams”, Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 32 (5): 597–617. DOI:10.1177/0022022101032005005
- Lee, Kibeom and Michael C. Ashton. 2004. “Psychometric Properties of the HEXACO Personality Inventory”, Multivariate Behavioral Research, 39 (2): 329-358. DOI: 1207/s15327906mbr3902_8.
- Lehman, Wayne, Jack M. Greener and Dwayne D. Simpson. 2002. “Assessing organizational readiness for change”, Journal of substance abuse treatment, 22 (4): 197-209. DOI: 1016/S0740-5472(02)00233-7.
- Lowe, Kroeck & Siva Subramaniam. 1996. “Effectivenes correlatesof transformational and transactional leadership: A meta-analytic review of the MLQ literature”, Leadership Quarterly 7 (3)
- Northouse, Peter G. 2007. “Culture and leadership”, Leadership: Theory and practice,4: 301-340.
- Northouse, Peter G. Introduction to Leadership: Concepts and Practice. Los Angeles: SAGE, 2014. Print.
- Rost Joseph. 1991. Leadership for the twenty-first century. New York, Westport, & London: Praeger.
- Rubin, Robert S., David C. Munz and William H. Bommer. 2005. “Leading from within: The effects of emotion recognition and personality on transformational leadership behavior”, Academy of Management Journal, 48 (5): 845-858. DOI: 5465/amj.2005.18803926.
- Smollan, Roy K., Janet G. Sayers and Jonathan A. Matheny. 2010. “Emotional responses to the speed, frequency and timing of organizational change”, Time and Society, 19 (1): 28-53. DOI: 10.1177/09f
- Wayne E. Lehman, Greener Jack M. and Simpson D. Dwayne. 2002. “Assessing organizational readiness for change”, Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 22. DOI:1016/S0740-5472(02)00233-7