CHINA IN MODERN WORLD RELATIONS
THE UNITED STATES – CHINA TRADE WAR AND THE COLLAPSING OF THE WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION
The aim of this paper was to research, describe and explain the causal link between the US-China trade war and the initiation of WTO reforms. Changes in US trade policy took place under Trump’s leadership. Driven by the slogan “America First”, the administration introduced measures that have increasingly began to resemble a trade war against China. With reference to Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962 and Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 tariffs were imposed on a wide range of imports from China, in response to alleged threats to national security and unfair trade practices. The trade facilitation, predictability and freedom of trade flows have been compromised by these actions, and thus the basic WTO postulates.The lack of progress in the Doha trade talks and the overload of dispute settlement systems are factors that have already weakened the WTO’s international reputation. US protectionist measures have further eroded the organization’s credibility. As a result, there is a rise in protectionism in other WTO member countries as well. Also, the US has been blocking appointments and reappointments of its members of the Appellate Body for over a two years, which has led to the cessation of work of this body and the crisis of the dispute settlement mechanism.Trade war has led officials to come forward on the need for thorough WTO reform. When it came to critical mass, formal proposals for reform began. Consultations have also started between the leading Member States. Adopting a comprehensive reform program will be very difficult, given the WTO’s decision-making mechanism. However, no matter what the results, this process has begun and the problems can no longer be ignored.
An open question for future research is whether the WTO will successfully reform and thereby prevent the emergence of new trade wars, or whether we are pursuing a future without multilateral trade rules, with the right of the strongest.
- DW. „Šta može BRIKS?.“ 13. новембар 2019. https://www.dw.com/sr/%C5%A1ta-mo%C5%BEe-briks/a-51220758.
- European Commission [EC]. н.д. “Concept paper, WTO modernisation Introduction to future EU proposals“ Последњи приступ 12. фебруар 2020. https://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2018/september/tradoc_157331.pdf.
- Hauser, Heinz, and Zimmerman, Thomas A. 2003. „The challenge of reforming the WTO dispute settlement understanding.“ Intereconomics, 38(5), 241-245.
- Howse, Robert. 2005. „WTO Governance and the Doha Round.“ Global Economy Journal 5(4): 64-81. doi:10.2202/1524-5861.1151.
- Kong, Qingjiang, and Shuai Guo. 2019. „WTO Reform: will there be a Third Option other than a US Withdrawal and a China Expulsion.“ Asian Journal of WTO & International Health Law and Policy 14 (2019): 259-404.
- Labonté, Ronald. 2002. „International governance and World Trade Organization (WTO) reform.“ Critical Public Health, 12(1), 65-86. doi: 10.1080/09581590110113312.
- Levy, Philip I. 2005. “Do We Need an Undertaker for the Single Undertaking? Angles of Variable Geometry.” In Economic Development and Multilateral Trade Cooperation, eds. Bernard M. Hoekman and Simon J. Evenett, 417-438. London and Washington: Palgrave Macmillan and World Bank.
- Martin, Will, and Mari Pangestu, M. 2007. Options for global trade reform: A view from the Asia-Pacific. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Martin, Will, and Patrick Messerlin. 2007. “Why Is It So Difficult? Trade Liberalization under the DohaAgenda.” Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 23(3): 347-366.
- McDougall, Robert. 2018. „Crisis in the WTO: Restoring the Dispute Settlement Function.“ CIGI Papers No. 194 — October 2018 https://www.cigionline.org/sites/default/files/documents/Paper%20no.194.pdf.
- N1. 2018. „Makron predlaže reformu Svetske trgovinske organizacije.“ 30. maj 2018. http://rs.n1info.com/Biznis/a392284/Makron-predlaze-reformu-Svetske-trgovinske-organizacije.html.
- Schlesinger, Jacob M. 2017. “How China Swallowed the WTO.” The Wall Street Journal. 1. November 2017. https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-china-swallowed-the-wto-1509551308.
- Scott, James, and Rorden Wilkinson. 2015. „China as a System Preserving Power in the WTO.“ In Rising Powers and Multilateral Institutions. International Political Economy Series, eds. Lesage D. and Van de Graaf T., 199-218. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Shaffer, Gregory, and Michael Waibel. 2017. „The Rise and Fall of Trade and Monetary Legal Orders: From the Interwar Period to Today’s Global Imbalances.“ In Contractual Knowledge: One Hundred Years of Legal Experimentation in Global Markets, eds. Gregoire Mallard and Jerome Sgard, 289-333. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Stiglitz Joseph E. 2018. „Trump and Globalization.“ Journal of Policy Modeling 40 (3): 515-528.
- UNCTAD. 2019. „Trade and Trade Diversion Effects of United States Tariffs on China.“ UNCTAD Research Paper No. 37, https://unctad.org/en/pages/PublicationWebflyer.aspx?publicationid=2569 last accessed 17 January 2020.
- Wagner, Markus. 2020. „The Impending Demise of the WTO Appellate Body: From Centrepiece to Historical Relic?.“ In The Appellate Body of the WTO and Its Reform, eds. Chang-fa Lo, Junji Nakagawa and Tsai-fang Chen, 67-90 Singapore: Springer.
- Wong, Dorcas and Alexander Chipman Koty. 2020. „The US-China Trade War: A Timeline.“ China Briefing. 13 May 2020. https://www.china-briefing.com/news/the-us-china-trade-war-a-timeline/.
- WTO, Days 3, 4 and 5: Round-the-clock consultations produce ‘Bali Package’, December 7, 2013, https://www.wto.org/english/news_e/news13_e/mc9sum_07dec13_e.htm, last accessed 11 February 2020.
- WTO, Disputes by member, https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/dispu_by_country_e.htm, last accessed 11 February 2020.