Serbian Political Thought
The Role of Information War in the Strengthening of Stereotypes about Russia in the Western Political Space
Negative perceptions of Russia as “the Other” in societies belonging to the Western political tradition have been shaped in a long historical perspective and have their own cultural and geopolitical matrix. These stereotypes mostly perceive Russia and its population through collectivism, authoritarianism and impulsiveness. Media and information policies play an indispensable role in shaping stereotypes in the modern and postmodern era. Therefore, the aim of this research is to point at the role of media discourse in supporting and forming negative stereotypes about contemporary Russia. In the introductory part of the Paper, the problem of stereotyping the notions of Russia and the Russians in the Western political space is contextualized, and then the case study on the empirical basis describes the role of the so-called Western media in supporting the established stereotypes in modern times. The main narratives of the information war between the European Union and the Russian Federation were used for media mediation and interpretation of events on the international scene in which the Russian Federation was the main actor during the year of sanctions (2014) and immediately afterwards (2015). We conclude that in the observed period there was a mutual deterioration of the images among the citizens of the EU and RF, while the leading media sacrificed the principle of impartiality of reporting.
- Beller, M., Beller, J. (eds.) (2007) Imagology: Thecultural construction and literary representation of national characters: A critical survey. Amsterdam – New York: Rodopi.
- Cornish, P., Lindley-French, J. & Yorke C. (2011) Strategic Communications and National Strategy, Chatham House Report. London: The Royal Institute of International Affairs.
- European Parliament resolution of 23 November 2016 on EU strategic communication to counteract propaganda against it by third parties [online]. Available at http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+TA+P8-TA-2016-0441+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN [Accessed 17.03.2019]
- European Union Institute for Security Studies (EU ISS) (2016) EU strategic communications. With a view to counteracting propaganda. Strasbourg: European Parliament Policy Department.
- Fedorov, A. (2014) “Analysis of Media Stereotypes of the Russian Image in Media Studies in the Student Audience”, European Researcher 83(9–2).
- Gaddis, Lous John (1982) Strategies of Containment. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Makashvili, L. (2017) “The Russian Information War and Propaganda Narratives in European Union and the EU’s Eastern Partnership Countries”, International Journal of Social Science and Humanity 7(5): 309-313.
- Malia, M. (2003) L` Occident et l` enigma russe, Du Cavalier de bronze au mausolee de Lenin. Paris: Le Seul.
- Mead, M. (1951) Soviet attitudes toward authority: An interdisciplinary approach to problems of Soviet character. New York: McGraw-Hilll Book Company, Inc.
- Mek Kvejl, D. (1976) Uvod u sociologiju masovnih komunikacija (Denis McQuail: An Introduction to the sociology of mass communications). Beograd: Glas.
- Neumann, I. (1999) Uses of the Other: The ‘East’ in European Identity Formation. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Nikitina, L., Mohd Don, Z. B. & Cheong, L. S. (2015) “Exploring Structure and Salience of Stereotypes about Russia”, Zeitschrift für Slawistik 60(1): 1–17.
- Lieven, A. (2001) “Against Russophobia”, World Policy Journal 17/4: 25–32.
- Polyakova A., Boyer S. (2018), “The Future of Political Warfare: Russia, the West, and the Coming Age of Global Digital Competition”, Washington DC: Brookings Institution
- Said, E. (2000) Orijentalizam. Beograd: XX vek.
- Simionov, L. M. (2014) EU and Russia, cooperation or competition?. Iași: Alexandru Ioan Cuza University.
- Tomi, L. (2001) “Critical Analysis of American Representation of Russians”, Pragmatics 11(3), https://journals.linguisticsociety.org/elanguage/pragmatics/article/download/318/318-606-1-PB.pdf [Accessed 18.03.2019]
- Šuplata, M., Nič, M. (2016) “Russia’s Information War in Central Europe: New Trends and Counter-measures”, Bratislava: Globsec Policy Institute, 1-18 [online]. https://www.europeanvalues.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/russias_information_war_in_central_europe.pdf [Accessed 17.03.2019]
- Гајић, А. (2017) “ЕУ И Русија: између нормативности и реал-политике”, Српска политичка мисао 58(4): 261–277.
- Николайчук, И. (2015) Политическая медиаметрия. Зарубежные СМИ и безопасность России (Political mediametrics. Foreign media and Russian Security). Москва: РИСИ.
- РИСИ (2016): Зарубежные СМИ б 2015. г. (Foreign media in 2015). Москва.