ARICLES AND STUDIES
RUSSO-CHINESE COOPERATION IN MILITARY AND SECURITY ISSUES AND ENERGETICS AFTER THE UKRAINIAN CRISIS
The cooperation between the Russian Federation and the People’s Republic of China has been developing since the end of the Cold War, but they were not in the foreign policy focus of one another. The Ukrainian Crisis in 2014 changed this situation. As a consequence of a dramatic decline in the relationship with the USA and EU, Russia turned to more intensive cooperation with China, that is particularly developing in the military and security issues and energetics. The two countries realized several important arms and military technology trade contracts. Joint military exercises are more frequent and conducted in more provocative locations. Additionally, China’s energy consumption is increasing, and Russia has positioned itself as one of its primary suppliers of these resources. Chinese companies have a share in several important Russian energy projects and Chinese banks are willing to give significant loans for their completion. Since the worsening of Moscow and Beijing’s relationship with Western countries is likely to continue in the future, the cooperation between Russia and China in these areas will further develop. Still, a formal Russian-Chinese alliance is not to be expected.
- Downs, Erica. 2018. “China-Russia Energy Relations: Better Than Ever.” In “The Emerging Russia-Asia Energy Nexus,“ NBR Special Report 74, 17-31.
- Gabuev, Alexander. 2016. “Friends With Benefits? Russian-Chinese Relations After the Ukraine Crisis.” Carnegie Moscow Center. June 29, 2016. https://carnegie.ru/2016/06/29/friends-with-benefits-russian-chinese-relations-after-ukraine-crisis-pub-63953
- Henderson, James. 2018. “The Leaders of Russia’s Energy Pivot to Asia.” In “The Emerging Russia-Asia Energy Nexus,“ NBR Special Report 74, 1-16.
- Kashin, Vasily. 2019. “Russia-China Cooperation: A Russian Perspective.” In “Sino-Russian Relations: Perspectives from Russia, China, and Japan,” NBR Special Report 79, 1-21.
- Lo, Bobo. 2008. Axis of Convenience: Moscow, Beijing, and the New Geopolitics. Baltimore: Brookings Institution Press.
- Lukin, Alexander. 2018. China and Russia: The New Rapprochement. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Mankoff, Jeffrey. 2009. Russian Foreign Policy: The Return of Great Power Politics. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation. 2020. “About 10 thousand servicemen will take part in the anti-terrorist exercise Peace mission-2020.” March 2, 2020. https://eng.mil.ru/en/news_page/country/[email protected]
- Paul, Michael. 2019. “Partnership on the High Seas: China and Russia’s Joint Naval Manoeuvres.” SWP Comment 26, 1-8.
- Røseth, Tom. 2017. “Russia’s energy relations with China: passing the strategic threshold?” Eurasian Geography and Economics, 58 (1): 23-55. doi: 10.1080/15387216.2017.1304229.
- Schwartz, Paul N. 2019. “The Military Dimension in Sino-Russian Relations.” In Sino-Russian Relations in the 21st Century, eds. Jo Inge Bekkevold and Bobo Lo, 87-112. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Schwartz, Paul. 2015. “Russia’s Contribution to China’s Surface Warfare Capabilities: Feeding the Dragon.” A Report of the CSIS Russia and Eurasia Program.
- Skalamera, Morena. 2019. “Explaining the Emerging Sino-Russian Energy Partnership.” In Sino-Russian Relations in the 21st Century, eds. Jo Inge Bekkevold and Bobo Lo, 69-86. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- The Moscow Times. 2018. “U.S. Sanctions China for Buying Russian Fighter Jets, Missiles.” September 21, 2018. https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2018/09/21/us-sanctions-china-for-buying-russian-fighter-jets-missiles-a62953
- Watts, John, Sofia Ledberg, and Kjell Engelbrekt. 2016. “Brothers in arms, yet again? Twenty-first century Sino-Russian strategic collaboration in the realm of defence and security.” Defence Studies 16 (4): 427-449. doi: 10.1080/14702436.2016.1238747.
- Weidacher Hsiung, Christopher, and Tom Røseth. 2019. “The Arctic Dimension in Sino-Russian Relations.” In Sino-Russian Relations in the 21st Century, eds. Jo Inge Bekkevold and Bobo Lo, 167-187. London: Palgrave Macmillan..
- Weitz, Richard. 2017. “Sino-Russian Security Ties.” In ‘Russia-China Relations: Assessing Common Ground and Strategic Fault Lines,” NBR Special Report 66, 27-36.