ARTICLES AND STUDIES
EUROPEAN UNION’S QUEST FOR STRATEGIC AUTONOMY AND BIDEN’S FOREIGN POLICY
Over the last decade the EU has faced challenges on numerous fronts: economic crisis and slow recovery, refugee crisis, terrorism, Brexit, lack of effectiveness of its foreign and security policy. In recent years, the EU has put new effort to define its purpose and standing in international relations, and it seeks to become strategically autonomous actor. That means an actor with the ability to set priorities and make decisions. As the role of the United States is still pre-eminent in the security of Europe, the EU-US relations have a special bearing on that EU’s ambition. In this paper we provide an overview of the relations between these two actors with the focus on the first year of Joseph Biden presidency, and we argue that through a complex interaction the EU will seek to define its policies independently of the United States, wishing to expand its space for maneuver and action.
- Alcaro, Riccardo and Nathalie Tocci. 2021. “Seizing the Moment: European Strategic Autonomy and the Biden Presidency.” IAI Commentaries 21/37, July 2021.
- BBC. 2020. “Pompeo signs deal to redeploy troops from Germany to Poland.” 15 August 2020, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53792019.amp.
- BBC. 2021. “G7 summit: Biden says America is back at the table.” 14 June 2021. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57462047.
- Biden Jr, Joseph R. 2020. “Why America Must Lead Again: Rescuing U.S. Foreign Policy After Trump.” Foreign Affairs 99(2): 64-76.
- Borrell, Josep. 2020. “Embracing Europe’s Power”. Project Syndicate, 8 February 2020. https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/embracing-europe-s-power-by-josep-borrell-2020-02.
- Borrell, Josep. 2021. “Europe cannot afford to be a bystander in the world. We need a “strategic compass”.” EEAS Blog. 10 October 2021. https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters-homepage/105369/europe-cannot-afford-be-bystander-world-we-need-%E2%80%9Cstrategic-compass%E2%80%9D_en.
- Bouemar, Victor. 2021. “EU Collective Defence: What Does France Want?” Clingendael Spectator. 29 September 2021. https://spectator.clingendael.org/en/publication/eu-collective-defence-what-does-france-want.
- Bown, Chad and Katheryn Russ. 2021. “Biden and Europe remove Trump’s steel and aluminum tariffs, but it’s not free trade.” Peterson Institute for International Economics, 11 November 2021. https://www.piie.com/blogs/trade-and-investment-policy-watch/biden-and-europe-remove-trumps-steel-and-aluminum-tariffs.
- Council of the European Union, “European Security Strategy: A Secure Europe in a Better World”, 15895/03, Brussels, 8 December 2003.
- Delaporte, Murielle. 2020. “US Military Support In Sahel: Allies At Work.” Breaking Defence, 14 May 2020. https://breakingdefense.com/2020/05/us-military-support-in-sahel-allies-at-work/.
- Deutche Welle [DW]. “Donald Trump on NATO: Top quotes”, 9 July 2018. https://www.dw.com/en/donald-trump-on-nato-top-quotes/g-44588734
- European Commission, “White Paper on the Future of Europe: Reflections and Scenarios for the EU27 by 2025”, COM(2017)2025, Brussels, 1 March 2017.
- European Commission, “The EU strategy for cooperation in the Indo-Pacific”, JOIN(2021) 24 final, Brussels, 16 September 2021.
- European Council, “A New Strategic Agenda 2019-2024.” https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/39914/a-new-strategic-agenda-2019-2024.pdf.
- European External Action Service [EEAS], “Shared Vision, Common Action: A Stronger Europe. A Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign And Security Policy.” Brussels, 24 June 2016.
- European External Action Service [EEAS]. “Joint Statement by EU High Representative Federica Mogherini and Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif.” Vienna, 14 July 2015.
- Fiott, Daniel and Vassilis Theodosopoulos. 2020. Yearbook of European Security. Paris: European Union Institute for Security Studies.
- Fiott, Daniel. 2021. European Sovereignty. Strategy and Indepdendence. Chaillot Paper No.169, Paris: EU Institute for Security Studies.
- Foreign Policy. 2021. “The Biden Progress Report.” Spring 2021: 23-31.
- Grare, Frédéric. 2021. “Trumpism by another name: What AUKUS tells us about US policy in the Indo-Pacific.” European Council of Foreign Relations. 5 October 2021. https://ecfr.eu/article/trumpism-by-another-name-what-aukus-tells-us-about-us-policy-in-the-indo-pacific/.
- Heisbourg, François. 2021. “Europe Can Afford the Cost of Autonomy”. Survival 63(1): 25-32. doi: 10.1080/00396338.2021.1881250.
- Karnitschnig, Matthew. 2021. “Disbelief and betrayal: Europe reacts to Biden’s Afghanistan ‘miscalculation’.” Politico, 17 August 2021. https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-reacts-bidens-afghanistan-withdrawal/.
- Maurer, Heidi, and Nicholas Wright. 2021. “How much unity do you need? Systemic contestation in EU foreign and security cooperation.” European Security, 30(3):385-401. doi: 10.1080/09662839.2021.1947800.
- Michel, Charles. 2021. “Strategic autonomy for Europe – the aim of our generation.” Brussels, 28 September 2020. https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2020/09/28/l-autonomie-strategique-europeenne-est-l-objectif-de-notre-generation-discours-du-president-charles-michel-au-groupe-de-reflexion-bruegel/
- Momtaz, Rym and Quint Forgey. “Biden tries to calm waters with Macron in submarine scrap.” Politico, 22 September 2021.https://www.politico.eu/article/biden-concedes-to-macron/.
- Novaky, Niklas. 2018. New American scepticism on EU defence cooperation, Martens Centre. https://www.martenscentre.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/nn_inbrief_eu-us_gg_ns_0.pdf.
- Pothier, Fabrice. 2020. “Joe Biden’s Post-transatlantic Moment.” Survival 62(6): 95-102. dou: 10.1080/00396338.2020.1851088.
- Reuters. 2020. “Britain is part of ‘arc of instability’ around the EU, chairman says.” 28 September 2020. https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-michel-idUKKBN26J2BH.
- RFE/RL. 2021. “U.S. Imposes Sanctions On Russian-Linked Transadria Over Nord Stream 2 Project.” 23 November 2021, https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-ukraine-pipeline-sanctions/31574380.html.
- Ryon, Eloïse. 2020. “European strategic autonomy: Energy at the heart of European security?.” European View 19(2): 238-244. doi: 10.1177/1781685820968302. (Ryon 2020)
- The White House. “National Security Strategy of the United States of America.” Washington DC, December 2017.
- The White House. “Remarks by President Trump and President Duda of the Republic of Poland in Joint Press Conference”, Washington DC, 18 September 2018.
- The White House. “Remarks by President Biden on America’s Place in the World.” Washington DC, 4 February 2021. (a).
- The White House. “Interim National Security Strategic Guidance.” Washington DC, March 2021. (b).
- US Department of State. 2021. “Joint Statement of the United States and Germany on Support for Ukraine, European Energy Security, and our Climate Goals.” 21 July 2021. https://www.state.gov/joint-statement-of-the-united-states-and-germany-on-support-for-ukraine-european-energy-security-and-our-climate-goals/.
- von der Leyen, Ursula. 2019. “Speech by President-elect von der Leyen in the European Parliament Plenary on the occasion of the presentation of her College of Commissioners and their programme”. https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/SPEECH_19_6408