ARTICLES AND STUDIES
BIDEN’S APPROACH TOWARDS RUSSIA: A “RESET LIGHT”?
The topic of this paper is foreign policy course towards Russia employed by the incumbent United States president, Joseph Biden, during his first year in office. Motivated by the recent Biden-Putin bilateral summit and Biden’s remark on the U.S. and Russia as “two great powers”, the author presents a research question whether this event could be observed as the beginning of a “reset light” approach in Washington’s Russia policy. Unlike the previous “reset” of U.S.-Russian relations this time the goal would not be rapprochement, but structured confrontation between the two countries (such as the one which prevented escalation during the Cold War), with cooperation in areas where it is possible. Having considered Obama/Trump legacy, put Biden’s rhetoric and actions in current international and domestic context, and analyzed different issues over which Russia and the U.S. are in conflict/can cooperate, the author concludes that Biden’s approach can be considered a “reset light”, but that its success in the longer run is uncertain.
- 2021a. “Putin won’t allow US to lecture Russia from ‘a position of power’, Kremlin insists after weeks of diplomatic spats with Biden”. March 30, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/519593-washington-rude-diplomatic-approach/.
- 2021b. “Relations with US at rock bottom after Biden’s ‘killer’ jibe, Moscow says – but American diplomats insist it’s all Russia’s fault”. April 2, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/519935-relations-putin-biden-diplomatic-row/
- 2021c. “Ahead of next month’s eagerly awaited Putin-Biden summit, Kremlin warns ‘reset’ in US-Russian relations unlikely to be on cards”. May 26, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/524864-putin-biden-meeting-change/.
- 2021d. “Russia ready to discuss human rights if Biden wants, but starting with arrest of protesters who stormed US Capitol, says FM Lavrov”. May 31, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/525296-lavrov-human-rights-capitol/.
- 2021e. “Russian nuclear negotiator ‘enjoys’ working with Biden’s diplomats more than Trump’s, saying Iran atomic deal could now be close”. July 13, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/529077-nuclear-negotiator-biden-diplomats/.
- 2021f. “Ukraine gaining access to NATO’s waiting room ‘remains to be seen’ says Biden, after Kiev’s Zelensky claimed it was ‘confirmed’”. June 14, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/526558-zelensky-biden-ukraine-nato/.
- 2021g. “US strikes Ukraine-centered Nord Stream 2 ‘deal’ with Germany – Putin and Merkel ‘satisfied’ with key pipeline near-completions”. July 21, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/529873-us-deal-germany-nord-stream/.
- Russia Insight. 2021. “Breaking! Putin Thanks Biden for Initiating the Meeting, Biden Calls USA and Russia ‘Two Great Powers’”. Youtube video. June 16, 2021. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2PF5VnFQc8.
- Sharikov, Pavel. 2021. “The One Who Stands in Our Way Will Help Us: Cybersecurity Issues at the Putin-Biden Summit”. Valdai Discussion Club. June 1, 2021. https://valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/the-one-who-stands-in-our-way-will-help-us-cyberse/?sphrase_id=1365073.
- Smith, Hanna. 2014. Russian Greatpowerness: Foreign Policy, the Two Chechen Wars and International Organizations. Helsinki: University of Helsinki.
- Stent, Angela. 2019. Putin’s World: Russia Against the West and With the Rest. New York and Boston: Twelve.
- The White House [TWH]. 2009. “Remarks by Vice President Biden at 45th Munich Conference on Security Policy”. February 7, 2009. https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/remarks-vice-president-biden-45th-munich-conference-security-policy.
- The White House [TWH]. 2014. “Remarks by President Obama in Address to the United Nations General Assembly”. September 24, 2014. https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2014/09/24/remarks-president-obama-address-united-nations-general-assembly.
- The White House [TWH]. 2015. National Security Strategy. February 2015. https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2015_national_security_strategy_2.pdf.
- The White House [TWH]. 2017. National Security Strategy of the United States of America. December 2017. https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/NSS-Final-12-18-2017-0905.pdf.
- The White House [TWH]. 2021a. Interim National Security Strategic Guidance. March 2021. https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/NSC-1v2.pdf.
- The White House [TWH]. 2021b. “Readout of President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Call with President Vladimir Putin of Russia”. April 13, 2021. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/04/13/readout-of-president-joseph-r-biden-jr-call-with-president-vladimir-putin-of-russia-4-13/.
- The White House [TWH]. 2021c. “Remarks by President Biden on Russia”. April 15, 2021. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/04/15/remarks-by-president-biden-on-russia/.
- The White House [TWH]. 2021d. “U.S.-Russia Presidential Joint Statement on Strategic Stability”. June 16, 2021. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/06/16/u-s-russia-presidential-joint-statement-on-strategic-stability/.
- The White House [TWH]. 2021e. “Remarks by President Biden Before the 76th Session of the United Nations General Assembly”. September 21, 2021. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/09/21/remarks-by-president-biden-before-the-76th-session-of-the-united-nations-general-assembly/.
- Tickle, Jonny. 2021a. “Putin replies to Biden’s insinuation that he’s a ‘killer’: Says US President is talking about himself but ‘I wish him good health’”. RT. March 18, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/518469-putin-biden-wish-health/.
- Tickle, Jonny. 2021b. “Washington and Moscow in discussions over potential Putin-Biden summit this summer after US president’s proposal, Kremlin confirms”. RT. April 26, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/522153-washington-moscow-discussions-summit/.
- Tickle, Jonny. 2021c. “Putin and Biden had productive meeting but any improvement in Russo-American relations will take ‘number of months’, says Kremlin”. RT. June 30, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/527992-putin-biden-productive-meeting/.
- Tickle, Jonny. 2021d. “Biden has promised to impose sanctions against Russian-German Nord Stream 2 pipeline if problems arise for Ukraine – Zelensky”. RT. September 2, 2021. https://www.rt.com/russia/533724-zelensky-assurances-sanctions-nord-stream/.
- Trapara, Vladimir. 2017a. Vreme “resetovanja”: odnosi Rusije i Sjedinjenih Država u period od 2009. do 2012. godine. Beograd: Institut za međunarodnu politiku i privredu.
- Trapara, Vladimir. 2017b. “Does Trump Have a Grand Strategy?”. Review of International Affairs 68(1168): 56-70.
- Trapara, Vladimir. 2020. Ratovi Rusije 1999-2019. Beograd: Institut za međunarodnu politiku i privredu.
- Troianovski, Anton. 2021. “Moscow Commentators Celebrate That Biden Sees Russia as a Great Power”. The New York Times. June 17, 2021. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/17/world/europe/russia-putin-biden-summit.html.
- Tsygankov, Andrei P. 2019. Russia and America: The Asymmetric Rivalry. Cambridge and Medford: Polity Press.
- U.S. Mission to International Organizations in Geneva. 2021. “Remarks by President Biden in Press Conference – Geneva, Switzerland”. June 17, 2021. https://geneva.usmission.gov/2021/06/17/remarks-by-president-biden-in-press-conference-geneva-switzerland/.